- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of oats, finely ground in a food processor
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of pear, peeled, cored, finely diced (approx 1 medium pear)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cold water
- Set oven at 325 degrees
- Brown the butter in a stainless steel pan at medium heat. Remove from the heat when the milk solids begin to sink to the bottom of the pan and turn a light brown color. You will notice a nutty aroma which means the solids have caramelized. Pour browned butter into a container and allow it to solidify in the refrigerator.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients: Flours, ground oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground ginger in a large mixing bowl.
- Scoop chilled butter into the dry ingredient mix and dissolve with your hands until the butter is the size of small peas. The dry ingredients will resemble slightly humid sand at this point.
- In another bowl, mix yogurt and cold water together, then slowly fold into the dry ingredients.
- Mix only until all of the dry ingredients become moistened.
- Fold in diced pears into the batter and mix thoroughly, again making sure you do not over-mix.
- Scoop out batter into mini cupcake molds. Fill ¾ of the way up.
- Bake until the tops are a slightly golden color.