(This recipe is tree nut free & gluten free)
You carved your pumpkins and saved those pumpkin seeds, and we know just what to do with them! Of course, if you didn’t save them, you can simply purchase a bag of shelled, raw pumpkin seeds (also known as pepitas) from the grocery store.
- Vegetable-oil spray or 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons to 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups of raw, unroasted pepitas
- Line baking sheet pan with parchment paper and lightly coat it with vegetable spray or butter.
- Put the sugar, butter, honey, and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water to a large saucepan, and stir together until all the sugar is wet. Cook over high medium-high, but monitor it carefully until the mixture begins to thicken up a little bit.
- Once the mixture turns a medium golden (takes at least 10 minutes) immediately remove from the heat, and carefully whisk in the baking soda followed by the salt (Caramel mixture will bubble quite a bit at this point). Switch to a wooden or metal spoon, and fold in the pepitas or seeds.
- Quickly pour the mixture onto the sheet pan, and spread it out over the pan using the back of the spoon before it starts to harden.
- Cool completely, then break into bite size pieces and you are ready to enjoy. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.