You will need:
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- chopped fresh basil or parsley leaves (1⁄4 cup)
- chopped red onion (1⁄4 teaspoon)
- salt (2 tablespoons)
- olive oil (1 1⁄2 tablespoon)
- fresh lemon juice (2 tablespoons)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced or put through a garlic press
- 3 cups toasted or grilled day-old whole grain bread, cut into 1-inch squares
- Put the tomatoes, basil or parsley, red onion, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the bread and mix again making sure bread is completely covered in oil and lemon juice. Taste the salad, and add more lemon, herbs, or salt if you think it needs it. This is a great opportunity to let everyone taste it and talk about what they taste!
- Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes, up to overnight. This can be eaten cold when the juices from the tomato have had a chance to be soaked up by the little bits of toast! Yum!